Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Ports of Morrow

I've been listening to the new Shins album. I got it in Portland. I'm such a good hipster. Nix that. Anyway, it's good. These two songs are the ones that are standing out so far.

Simple Song

This was the single. I've been playing it quite a bit, even though it starts out with "This is just a simple song" and I hate self-aware songs for some reason. It's a pet peeve. Yes, we know you are singing a song, don't talk about singing a song within a song. It's like being in a beautiful dream and having a screeching alarm clock go off. Mercer redeems himself. He knows what to do. When he throws in the signature Shins riff, my heart melts. "I know that things can really get rough, when you go it alone."

The video is worth watching too. Even though there is something way too familiar about a band playing with a house being destroyed all around them, I'll give him credit for having an interesting story. I love artistic videos as much as the next person, but I feel like that has become a cop-out for low budget videos. "Cut the fat boys, let's just make it look cool." Everything is better with a story, even if it's a really weird artsy nonsensical story - a la Mulholland Drive. So cheers Shins.

 

September

This is one of those brilliant slow tunes. Again with the catchy riffs. "I've been selfish and full of pride, and she knows deep down there's a little child."

x0x0

No comments:

Post a Comment